3/7/11

Procrastination

Isn't it ironic how procrastination almost always leads to something less productive than the thing you are avoiding?  For example, I just spent the last 2 hours browsing Facebook, downloading music, and talking about things that can't yet be decided.  Not that any of these things are necessarily bad, but I could have easily done something that is actually worthwhile instead of wasting time.  Oh well.  Such is life.

So this weekend I decided to start running.  Evidently (obviously?) I need to increase my stamina for swim, because although I am a pretty beastly sprinter, anything more than a 50 terrifies me.  Not really, but I just can't keep up on long sets.  So I've decided to run a mile or two every day before swim and on the weekends.  Hopefully I'll be able to gradually increase the pace until I'm back to April 2010 status.

Geez, I don't know why I'm writing this.  I mean, the chances of anyone actually caring about this enough to read all my pointless points are almost laughable.  Did I mention the irony of procrastination?  Oh well, I just need to remember that this is for my own references, not for anything else.  Now I see how Blogs pull you into their little trap...

Actually, that reminds me: existentialism.  Not only is it impossible to spell, but it is absolutely brilliant.  Although I don't subscribe to many of the core beliefs, I've found that simply knowing and understanding has helped me to clarify and organize my own thoughts.  It's like removing the veil of preconceived notions from your life.  I mean, obviously you still have to make an effort to follow society's rules, but it is quite refreshing to look at life as if every avenue is a choice.  Quite frankly, I think it is the things that we choose not to do that define us more than the few things that we actually do.  I mean, think about it.  The things that you do don't even reflect your thoughts, since most people will wish to do something that they would never actually do.  I suppose this is where I differ from existentialists.  Your thoughts make up more of you than your actions.  They, in fact, they are the only things that you can verify as real because they ARE you.  I don't know, there are an infinite possibilities to human interpretations of the world.  There is an old saying that goes, "Any man can come up with an ends to the means."  I've always found this to be true.  If you have a fact, you can always reverse engineer a reason for that fact.  It might be completely and utterly wrong, but human imagination allows for that possibility.

And finally, I don't understand why people choose to believe that Macs are better than PCs or whatever.  I mean, it all depends on the user and their purpose.  I've used almost every OS extensively, and still believe that each have their pros and cons.  From Facebook:
Look, you really can't say any one operating system is better than another, it depends on how you use it.

For example, Macs are great if you just want something that can get the job done quickly and doesn't break. But they don't have the customize-ability that PC's have. And PC's don't have the customize-ability that Linux has, but it has a wider user base. I mean, if one OS was better than another, EVERY other OS would just copy the one that is the best. But that isn't the case, is it? Each OS has it's own specific purpose, and those that use their chosen system are undoubtedly pleased with it.

I could say,
"Macs are film cameras and PCs are digital cameras.

Which one would you prefer for everyday use?"
(terrible example I know)

While most might say the digital camera because of the easy customize-ability, Macs aren't intended for that. They are intended for different things.

Thus, you can only argue what is best for you, not what is best for everyone.

You have no idea how much I want to break out existentialism right now.
"I believe I am becoming an existentialist."

No comments:

Post a Comment